Friday, January 7, 2011

Dissenting Opinion

Crossing the bridge
With lessons I've learned
Playing with fire
And not getting burned
--Seal

While I thought reading the Constitution on the House floor was a good idea that should be done routinely, Judge N opined on his show last nite (can't find a vid clip this specific monologue) that it was a waste of time. He argued, if I understood him correctly, that incoming Congress people take an oath to uphold the Constitution, so presumably they should already know what it says.

Maybe they should, judge, but my sense is that if we tested their actual understanding of the Constitution a sobering picture might emerge.

Moreover, the first time I read the Constitution from end to end (which sadly was only a few yrs ago), I understood very little of what I was reading. Now, hundreds of additional reads later, and in conjunction with research on the context of the times, my grasp is much greater--although I seem to still learn something new with each additional pass.

To the extent that a simiilar process of learning befalls others, the case for routine reading of the Constitution by those empowered to uphold it seemingly strengthens.

Judge N ended his monologue pessimistic about incoming Tea Party types holding the line on a thumbs down vote on raising the debt ceiling. Based on interviews he's had with a number of them, the judge thinks that they are already showing signs of being co-opted by the establishment.

An interesting early test of fortitude seems eminent.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

It is preposterous that the current members of the United States Senate and all of their predecessors for more than 200 years haven't been able to read the Constitution and do what it says.
~John Jay Hooker