Thursday, September 17, 2009

Back Taxes

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet
--The Beatles

While I like to focus on the damage that the Fed has done to our country over the past century, there's an excellent argument to be made for the adverse consequences to the Sixteenth Amendment as well.

This amendment, which ironically was passed the same year as the Fed's founding (1913), altered Article One, Section Nine of the Constitution which in its initial form permitted only a simple head tax by the federal government.

Achieving 'progressive' programs under President Wilson's watch required way more resources than the federal government could legally confiscate given the Article One contraints. Thus the amendment.

Government has been growing in size and scope since then. Inversely, freedom has been lost.

2 comments:

OSR said...

I'm sure that you've heard of tax protesters that claim the federal income taxes aren't legal claims. I know a several of these protesters and they claim to have not paid federal taxes in 20 years.

fordmw said...

Yep, have heard it. What I wonder is what is the critical mass of non-payers that would break the system? Half a million? One million?