Sunday, January 14, 2018

Rock On

And where do we go from here?
Which is a way that's clear?
--Dave

When I was playing baseball, I constantly scanned all major league hitters for ideas that I might incorporate into my approach at the plate. In the later years of my game, two players in particular had out sized influence. One was Don Mattingly. I liked how he got ready at the plate.

The other was Rafael Palmeiro. Since first seeing him in the star studded College World Series of 1985, I liked his stance, how he cocked his hands as he lifted his foot, and that pretty swing and one-handed release. I borrowed profusely.


After putting up Hall of Fame numbers that included 569 HRs and over 3000 hits, Palmeiro's career sadly ended in a controversy over PEDs. His name quickly left the Hall of Fame ballot after garnering little support from the writer/voters.


About a week ago I was stunned to learn that Rafael Palmeiro has been training for a comeback. While not sure any team will take a flyer on a 53 year old, even one who looks to be in excellent shape, I am certain that his swing is still sweet.
Watching a guy not too far from my age still rockin' 'em like that makes me want to hit the cage...

No comments: