Friday, April 24, 2009

International Harvester

"Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. "
--Maximus (Gladiator)

Who do I respect the most among investors? Jim Rogers. Straight shooter, sees the big picture, apolitical.

And contrarian. His forthcoming book, written as if he's talking to his young daughters, advises them to think for themselves.

To me, his hallmark is consistency. His views don't shift with the wind. For instance, this recent interview is similar to ones he gave last year. He's constantly assimilating new data, but usually applies lessons learned towards conservatively revising his thesis.

Too often in the past, my actions have resembled those of a moth in a light bulb factory. JR is a model of consistency.

3 comments:

OSR said...

It is refreshing to hear common sense, once in awhile. I'm currently trying to make Graham and Dodd my personal light bulb, but the concept of meaningful security analysis is rather ironic lately.

fordmw said...

Valuation-based analysis sure seems uncrowded in a world full of traders.

OSR said...

Actually, I was referring to the fictional nature of many current balance sheets, but I am making a concerted effort to become a reformed speculator.