Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Splintering Myths

"You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you can feel it. You've felt it you entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad."
--Morpheus (The Matrix)

Several times in my adult life I have encountered situations where my accumulating life experiences were telling me something different than what I had been taught in school to be 'true.' I have since come to understand, as suggested by institution theory, that myths often become truth thru institutional processes such as education.

For purveyors of myths, schools become channels for myth transfer.

My sense is that many social responses that we are witnessing today have been driven by transfer of myths to vulnerable young minds who accepted them as truth.

I'm hopeful that many will feel Morpheus's splinter--that something that they thought was true does not jibe with reality--and then resolve to reverse the process.

Splinter those myths.

No comments: