Saturday, May 4, 2019

You Like 'em, I Hate 'em.

He's got a brand new car
Looks like a Jaguar
It's got leather seats
It's got a CD player, player, player
--Feeder

'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' is a well known strategic posture. In politics, the antithesis--'the friend of my enemy is my enemy--is also popular. If you like 'em, then I must hate 'em.
During the previous administration, President Obama's friendly overtures toward Cuba and Irann increased opposition animosity toward those countries. During the current administration, President Trump's friendly overtures to (insert foreign country name) has drawn similar ire from political opponents.

Once again, social identity theory in motion.

Does make one wonder how world peace can come about when in two party, winner take all democratic systems. It is politically expedience to detest the friends of your enemies.

No comments: