Saturday, July 9, 2016

Reinforcing Ignorance

"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss."
--Cypher (The Matrix)

The media market can be viewed as a market for information bias. Outlets bias their information for consumption by particular segments of the market.

Few information consumers are interested in the truth as truth generally challenges long held beliefs. That challenge brings psychic pain as people realize that their beliefs may be wrong. Because people prefer pleasure over pain, they are prone to consume information that keeps them pain free.

Paradoxically, most consumers of media do not become significantly more informed. Instead, they reinforce their ignorance.

No comments: