Sunday, May 24, 2015

Twenty Years

Nothing's so cold
As closing the heart when all we need
Is to free the soul
Be we wouldn't be that brave I know
--Toad the Wet Sprocket

Two decades ago I left a life to pursue a dream. After tendering my resignation at work, I spent two difficult weeks saying goodbyes to so many good friends and packing things up. Then, on this day 20 yrs ago I set sail for home.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't scary. After all, I was walking away from a successful executive career in a large company that was (at the time) supremely stable. The opportunity cost of future income streams foregone was difficult to swallow. Layer on top of that a comfortable lifestyle and community that had adopted me with open arms and it was no wonder that I was emotionally spent on the day I left.


But it was the best decision I have ever made.

I'm living the dream daily. Often I'm guilty of taking for granted just how blessed I have been. Today I'm very grateful for the spark that moved me twenty years ago.

No comments: