Sunday, December 6, 2009

Slip Kids

I've got my clipboard, text books
Lead me to the station
Yeah, I'm off to the civil war
--The Who

Yesterday I had the privilege of tagging along with my nice Grace, my nephew Jack and their friends at Redsfest. Being around these kids is one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

Watching them grow up, I'm struck by competing feelings. On the one hand, the talents and capabilities demonstrated by these kids suggest to me that they'll be quite qualified as tomorrow's decision-makers. On the other hand, we're digging huge economic and fiscal holes that they'll somehow have to claw themselves out of.

It will be their capacity for hope and improvement versus the remnants of our selfishness and ineptitude.

Here's Gracie's interview as the world's biggest fan.

No comments: