Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Blue Pill

"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss."
--Cypher (The Matrix)

The group known as the Anti-Federalists largely opposed ratification of the Constitution as written because they knew that bureaucrats associated with strong centralized governments have an uncanny way of outlasting citizen capacity for guarding liberty. It is possible that individuals may be worn down by constant attacks on their liberty, and it is at such time that the State is quick to snatch freedom away.

I wonder whether we aren't experiencing one of those periods currently. Folks seem to be wearing down--becoming immune to the methodical chipping away of freedom by government intervention.

Will our country ultimately trade freedom for the illusion of economic and social security promised by the State?

No comments: