Monday, March 2, 2009

Long and Wrong

"On any other day, that might seem strange."
--Cameron Poe (Con Air)

In his annual Letter to Shareholders, Berkshire Hathaway chairman Warren Buffett often discusses a 'mistake du jour'--an investment error that he made during the previous year.

My mistake du jour in 2009 is shaping up to be getting involved in select pharma names ahead of this market meltdown. I liked the valuation of drugmakers Merck (MRK) and Pfizer (PFE) along with their nice dividends in a low yield world. I also thought that chances were high that the new administration would keep hands off this sector during the weak economy likely to persist over the next few years.

Since President Obama's speech to Congress last week, health care sectors have been leading markets to the downside. Given the president's rhetoric, many believe that health care reforms will now begin sooner rather than later. Should these reforms occur as specified by the new administration, then returns on capital are likely to suffer among the drugmakers (as, of course, will standard of living as innovation and efficiency exits this sector).

Previously, my time horizon (5+ yrs) had me insensitive to near term price fluctuations in these names. But now I wonder whether the long term fundamentals of this sector will not be impaired for many years.

As such, I'm considering an exit strategy for at least part of my position.

positions in MRK, PFE

2 comments:

OSR said...

I was going to ask if you'd looked at collaring the stocks, to stop the bleeding, when I noticed a put-call parity oddity w/ PFE.

The underlying closed at $12.5, but a Jan 10 conversion would run you $0.39/share. There are likely three dividend payments remaining until expiration. If PFE maintains $0.32/share, you'd earn $0.57/share and would be perfectly hedged. It looks like the market believes a major dividend reduction is in order.

fordmw said...

Thx for the observation. Hindsight being what it is, I 'should' have hedged at higher levels. At current levels, I'm more prone to reduce my position in order to manage risk.