Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Voting is not Consent

"Am I angry about taxation without representation? Well, yes I am. Should the American colonies government themselves independently? I believe they can, and they should. But if you are asking me, am I willing to go to war with England? Well, then, my answer is most definitely 'no.'"
--Benjamin Martin (The Patriot) 

Some argue that anyone who votes, regardless of the election outcome, consents to the system of governance that spawned the vote. By taking part in a election, the voter tacitly agrees to abide by the decision of a majority.

Of course, others argue that if a person doesn't vote then he/she doesn't have grounds for complaint because that person did not participate in the vote.

Imagine similar logic, i.e., 'yes' means consent, 'no' means consent, argued by criminals in courts of law.

One legitimate argument for voting is using elections as a means for peacefully keeping or removing aggression from the system. For example, voting against a tax levy keeps government aggression at bay.

The alternative is to acquiesce to the tax and become a slave. Or to fight back with defensive force.

No comments: