Saturday, January 24, 2015

Ernie Banks

Here come bad news talking this and that
Yeah, give me all you got, don't hold back
Yeah, well I should probably warn you I'll be just fine
Yeah, no offense to you don't waste your time
--Pharrell Williams

Ernie Banks passed away yesterday at the age of 83.

By the time I saw him play, Mr Cub was wrapping up his Hall of Fame career (first ballot) at first base. I remember watching the Wrigley Field highlights of the 39 year old Banks circling the bases after hitting his 500th home run in 1970.


 In his earlier days, however, he was a superb shortstop. In fact, Banks won back-to-back MVP awards in 1958 and 59 as a SS.

Beyond his superb on-field credentials, Banks was one the the all time great ambassadors for the game. He was famous for his smile and for his expression "Let's play two."

Consummate positivity.

1 comment:

katie ford hall said...

Matt,

They replayed a 2009 interview with him on NPR's morning edition today. I think you'll like it.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/26/381529306/baseball-hall-of-fame-legend-ernie-banks-dies-at-83

-K