Sunday, November 9, 2014

Bob Gibson

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away...or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna want to load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
--Field of Dreams

As a young student of the game, I read, watched, slept, observed, copied, admired hitters. Probably to my detriment, I gave pitchers little thought. One pitcher, however, earned early mindshare.

Some of my earliest baseball memories involve Cardinals pitching great Bob Gibson. The first World Series that I remember was the 1967 Red Sox/Cards contest. Gibson pitched three games of the seven game affair. He completed and won them all. In 1968 the Cardinals returned to face the Tigers. Once again, Gibson pitched three of seven games. Once again, he completed them all, but finished 2-1 when the seventh game went the Tigers' way on a misplayed ball by Cards centerfielder Curt Flood.


Bob Gibson's lifetime World Series stats: 3 World Series, 9 games started, 8 complete games, 7-2 record, 1.89 ERA, 92 strikeouts. As good as the Giants Madison Bumgarner threw this past October, his World Series record has a way to go to match Gibby's.

Gibson also pitched one of the early games I saw at Crosley Field. Sitting behind homeplate and gazing thru Crosley's bulletproof glass backstop, I marveled as Gibson spun like a top toward the first base side of the mound after delivering his pitches.

A fierce competitor who had no problem throwing high and tight to maintain dominance. Happy birthday to Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, my favorite pitcher, who turns 79 today.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

Why do I have to be an example for your kid? You be an example for your own kid.
~Bob Gibson