Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Captain

I've been lost now days uncounted
And it's months since I've seen home
Can you hear me, can you hear me
Or am I all alone?
--Grand Funk Railroad

Newfound respect this week for Derek Jeter. The Captain is retiring after this season, closing a stellar 20 year career as shortstop for the New York Yankees.

Jeter's numbers speak for themselves. Over 3400 hits (9th all time), .311 career batting average, eight seasons with over 200 hits, 5 time Gold Glove winner, 14 time all star. In the field, he has played no where but SS.


One would think that, with these results, you're looking at a natural--someone with off-the-earth talent. However, Jeter's raw athletic ability is often middle-of-the-pack with others on the field. Not the quickest bat--I am constantly amazed at how many opposite field dink shots he hits. Nor does he possess the best speed or the best arm.

What Derek Jeter does possess is superior mindset. He notes that one of his greatest traits is confidence. In difficult situations, he thinks back to times when he was successful and pictures success in his mind. Minimize negatives. He also says that he's not big on reflection, preferring instead to focus on the moment.

He works hard, rarely taking time off in the off season. "There may be people with more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do," he likes to say.

Off the field, he has kept his nose clean despite 20 yrs in the Big Applie media spotlight. He is active in the community, particularly thru his Turn 2 Foundation for kids.

Last week's All Star Game was consummate Jeter. Modest response to booming ovations. Diving stop off the bat of The Cutch on first play of the game. Leadoff double in first inning and scored the first AL run. Two for two (both to right field). Stayed on top step in dugout, where he did a long candid interview with the game announcers upstairs, after leaving the game.

Strange thing is that it is only now that I am coming to realize how special this person is. But certainly glad I did.

Catching up to millions of others this week, a tip of the cap to The Captain.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

I looked up to my parents because they were very successful in what they wanted to do. I was lucky; I didn't have to look far for role models.
~Derek Jeter