Thursday, March 21, 2013

Impeccable Word

"Always with the negative waves, Moriarity."
--Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

I recently read an insightful little book called The Four Agreements (Ruiz, 1997). The author suggests that each of us lives in our own world. We make various agreements with ourselves as we navigate our world. Many of these agreements are self-destructing, and shaped by our willingness to admit negative thoughts conveyed by others into our world.

For example, if someone tells me that I am stupid, then I might choose to believe it. I make an agreement with myself that I am incapable of being smart. Subsequently, I think and act in ways that honor the agreement.

Negative agreements reduce our freedom as they constitute self-imposed restrictions on our capacity to live fully.

The substance of the agreements that we make with ourselves is completely within our control. No one else can force us to make these agreements. We can choose to make new agreements and break old ones.

The author proposes four inter-related agreements that, if we make them with ourselves, lend positive energy to one's worldly journey and expand personal freedom.

The first agreement is to be impeccable with your word. This is seen as the most important agreement because what we say and write about ourselves and others forms the basis for other agreements. Do I speak about myself and others with respect, or do I scorn and belittle? Do I discuss what I know to be true or do I spread 'half truths' and gossip?

Do I write thoughts with the objective of getting closer to the truth regardless of who agrees or do I write thoughts that make me popular? Do I revel in positive achievement, or do I take pleasure in discussing failure? Do I engage in building people up or breaking people down. Do I prefer honest debate or back-biting satire?

Do I absorb criticism, or do I retaliate?

Do I keep commitments that I have made, or do I break my promises?

I can do much better here. I am working to be more impeccable with my word.

Reference

Ruiz, D.M. 1997. The four agreements: A practical guide to personal freedom. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing Inc.

2 comments:

dgeorge12358 said...

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
~Jesus, attributed by Didymos Judas Thomas

katie ford hall said...

Sounds like a cool book. FWIW, I think your writing has loads of integrity.