Friday, March 1, 2013

Cutting a New Habit

I keep looking for something I can't get
Broken hearts lie all around me
And I don't see an easy way to get out of this
--Cutting Crew

Absent an eleventh hour deal (which would not be surprising), the dreaded $85 billion 'sequester' goes active today.

The biggest surprise in this process has been that the Republicans have yet to cave. Time and time again the GOP talks tough on spending only to compromise as deadlines loom.

Should Republicans indeed stay the course, perhaps they will learn to savor sticking to principles and returning property to its rightful owners. Perhaps they will enjoy protecting people's freedom as pledged in their oaths of office.

Two percent of an expanding budget is a mere pittance. But it is a start.

Here's hoping that we cut ourselves a new habit.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

I don’t think we should [cut Congressional pay]; I think we should respect the work we do. I think it’s necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded.
~Nancy Pelosi