Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Greedy Details

"Stop telling lies about me and I'll stop telling the truth about you."
--Gordon Gekko (Money Never Sleeps)

One thing that impressed me about Wall Street II was how technically correct the background story appeared. I've only seen it once and there were a lot of moving parts that I may have missed, but I did not detect one error in the historical account of the 2008 credit collapse.

This article reveals why. Oliver Stone had a stable of respected advisers who helped him get a complex story pretty right.

Interviews w/ Stone suggest that he wanted to convey that free markets are 'bad' and in need of regulation and control. Ironically, by taking great pains to get the technical story correct, he makes it difficult to conclude that the 2008 backdrop reflected a free market situation at all.

It seems more likely that viewers question the wisdom of government interference that Stone correctly positioned as central to the implosion.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

President Obama insists he's a free-market guy. But you have to wonder whether he understands how a free economy really works.
~Fred Barnes