Saturday, September 11, 2010

Rage and Honor

Remember when the days were long
And rolled beneath the deep blue sky
--Don Henley

The worst day of my life occurred nine years ago today. It remains difficult for me to watch or even listen to events of that day and those that followed without having to suppress those feelings of rage and dispair that enveloped me.

My world changed forever.

As senseless as this event seems, however, our Creator put it in motion for a reason--a 'reason' that quite likely differs for each of us.

For me, I suspect the reason was to get me more engaged in the search for the truth. Prior to 9/11 I took for granted the notion of liberty, and assumed that I was living in a free country. After the Towers came down, I remember sitting in my living room in late afternoon when it hit me that it was our freedom that was under attack, and that measures we ourselves had already put in place were compromising that liberty--and more compromise in the name of 'security' was certain to follow.

Reflecting on the starkness of that moment has me thinking of Neo and his flush from the pods once he threw off the Matrix.

Thus began a personal crusade to study liberty and its relationship to the truth.

A silver lining in the blackness of that cobalt blue sky.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

Most people want security in this world, not liberty.
~H.L. Mencken