Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Battery Park

"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss."
--Cypher (The Matrix)

We know that humans are subject to herd behavior and social influence. However, humans possess self-awareness. Self-awareness allows us to recognize context, and select our response (e.g., comply with the herd or go our own way). It is perhaps the most fundamental way in which we differ from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Self-awareness facilitates freedom of choice.

Cypher exemplifies those who prefer to cede their freedom for a State of Dependence. The comfort and satisfaction offered by this state is, like Cypher's steak, an illusion. In reality, we surrender our persona and become, well, part of a battery park. And folks go willingly.

Perhaps the greatest barrier to liberty is not the desire of some to rule, but rather the desire of many to be ruled.

No comments: