Friday, December 3, 2021

Positioning for Retirement

Doing the garden
Digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?

--The Beatles

With retirement coming up fast I've been doing a few things w.r.t. personal finance. I've been saving more and spending less in order to build cash. Have also been selling some stuff on ebay and elsewhere to collect extra 'juice.' Also helps thin things out at the house--much needed.

Preparations are being made to rollover my 401(k) from work. I'm looking forward to allocating this capital among far more choices than those available thru the current fund administrator.

In both my brokerage and IRA accounts, I've been buying dividend paying stocks. Dividends are real cash that can provide a significant, and perhaps under-appreciated, income replacement in retirement.

Inflation is particularly bad for retirees as it erodes purchasing power of savings. To hedge against the prospects of Big Inflation, I've been building stock positions in the oil complex (e.g., ENB, XOM) and miners (e.g., AEM, AGI, PAAS). 

The miners appear particularly attractive. The financial strength of many in this group has perhaps never been better. Solid balance sheets and cash flows. Many are paying significant, and increasing, dividends (which helps me kill two birds with one stone). The sector has been pounded down to attractive valuation levels--particularly given the growing inflationary environment.

I've been swapping funds out of precious metal ETFs such as PHYS and into the miners to more fully express my perception of this situation--albeit at a slightly higher risk profile. 

positions in AEM, AGI, ENB, PAAS, XOM

1 comment:

Michael said...

I still enjoy reading your thoughts on a host of matters even several years after having enjoyed sitting under your tutelage at NKU. I've recently heard about your retirement as well. Congratulations to you sir and best wishes on your future endeavors.

Michael Hogan