Friday, May 7, 2021

Control Gene

Ellsworth Toohey: There's the building that should have been yours. There are buildings going up all over the city which are great chances refused and given to incompetent fools. You're walking the streets while they're doing the work that you love but cannot obtain. This city is closed to you. It is I who have done it! Don't you wish to know my motive?
Howard Roark: No.
Ellsworth Toohey: I'm fighting you and shall fight you in every way I can!
Howard Roark: You're free to do as you please.
Ellsworth Toohey: Mr Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me in any words you wish.
Howard Roark: But I don't think of you.

--The Fountainhead

Some people seem to have an inborn urge to control the behavior of others. They pay more attention to what others do than to their own actions. They criticize constantly. 

The onset of social networking has been their rapture.

When social control doesn't work, they seek to control others by force.

People acting freely? That bothers people born with the control gene to no end.

No comments: