Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dietary Change

If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself
Then make a change
--Michael Jackson

When I began studying martial arts over twenty years ago, I made commensurate changes to my diet to reflect a healthier way of life. I reduced consumption of fried foods, red meat (including those tasty half pound Wisconsin bar burgers), snacks (particularly chips), sweets of all kinds. I dramatically increased consumption of fresh vegetables and fruit.

Combined with my exercise regimen, the results were fantastic. Higher energy levels, low body fat, better speed and stamina. My diet was basically salads, pizza, Subway sandwiches, bananas/apples, and an occasional bowl of cereal.

I was also hungry a lot. This seemed a 'good' hunger--the kind you get from the body efficiently burning the fuel that it has been fed.

I maintained this diet for the better part of 15 yrs.

Over the past few years, however, the routine slipped. Pizza gave way to soup and other canned/boxed processed foods. More snacks--particularly crackers of various types. Less salad and less fresh vegetables. Sweets--candy, cookies, pie, cake, ice cream-- became a regular habit, particularly as nightly 'dessert.'

One positive was ditching soda in favor of water (I had been consuming at least a six pack of diet soda per day). However, water gradually expanded into fruit drinks and even chocolate milk--with commensurate increase in simple sugar intake.

While I've held the line on red meat and fried foods, it is accurate to say that my diet drifted toward more processed foods, less fruits and veggies, more wheat-based carbs, and more sugar.

Recently, some cumulative effects became apparent. Sluggishness, increase in midsection body fat, general lack of hunger--although it seemed there was always room for more snacks and sweets.

Not liking how this situation 'projected,' I have made some changes.

About two weeks ago, I began consuming less processed food. I'm starting to buy broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots by the pound again. Big salads. Snacks have been cut--particularly crackers. I want less wheat-based (gluten) carbs coming from bread, pasta, crackers, etc and more carbs from sources like vegetables (e.g., potatoes), rice, beans. Cookies, pies, cakes, and other sweets are on their way out.

Perhaps it's just a Hawthorne Effect, but I feel much better already. More energy, lighter on my feet, that hungry feeling again. The salad days...

Not sure where this goes, and I doubt that I'll mirror the 'original' diet of years ago.

I am certain, however, of my body's signal that the process has been pointed the right direction.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.
~Hippocrates, born 460 BC - died 370 BC