Sunday, January 5, 2014

Democracy and Divisiveness

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
For I know that the hypnotized never lie
--The Who

After voting on a decision where the majority vote is deemed the ruling one, you will often hear variations of the following: "Whatever differences people may have had in the past are now behind us. It is time now for the community to come together."

Of course, it is usually members of the dominant coalition that utter such proclamations.

Issues that are settled by democratic (majority) rule are naturally devisive. They encourage factions and deal making among special interests to collect a majority vote. The will of the majority is forced on the dissenting minority.

Expecting an increase in community cohesion following democratic vote is either naive or intellectually dishonest.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

Democracy don't rule the world, You'd better get that in your head; This world is ruled by violence, But I guess that's better left unsaid.
~Bob Dylan