Saturday, November 9, 2013

Club Fed

Relax said the nightman
We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave
--Eagles

Statist: You are a member of a club called 'society.' You must pay your dues to the club.

Individual: When exactly did I join the club and when did I agree on my membership dues?

Statist: You became a member by vestige of your existence. You did not agree to the dues you pay. Instead, others have determined how much you must pay based on your ability. The more ability you have, the more you pay.

Individual: But I'd rather not be a member. Instead, I will be a good neighbor to those in the club. I will not forcibly invade the pursuits of club members. I will trade with them.

Statist: That is impossible. We have a contract. Pay your dues, or the club will take action against you.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

We must face the fact that the preservation of individual freedom is incompatible with a full satisfaction of our views of distributive justice.
~Friedrich August von Hayek