Sunday, August 11, 2013

Reconnecting

He headed west 'cause he thought a change
Would do him good
See some old friends
Good for the soul
--Bob Seger

Am once again visiting the place where I spent many of my formative years. I still have trouble processing many of the changes I see. So much vibrancy has left the area. This is a community in transition and it is difficult to envision that what awaits on the other side is a better standard of living.

As always, the gem of the trip has been reconnecting with a special group of people that helped change the course of my life. They helped me strive to be the best that I could be. From them, I learned to take initiative when things needed changing. I learned the power of setting a good example--that consistent action done with integrity speaks infinitely louder than words.

When I left the area, the most difficult thing to do was to say goodbye to this group. Fortunately, through technology and annual visits, that goodbye was not permanent.

I think of these people often, and I'm fortunate once per year to see them in person.

Without this group, I would not be where I am today. I remain very grateful for their friendship.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.
~Thomas Aquinas