Monday, July 16, 2012

Yield Curve in 3D

I've been look so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are all that I feel
--The Cure

Am not a big fan of 3-D graphs. My experience is that information is lost when trying to express that third dimension in two dimensional space.

However, this 3D of the Treasury yield curve since 1990 (source here) does a good job of capturing level and trend in yield curve over time.


If the previous decade (1980-1990) was included, one could REALLY get a picture of how far we've come. (In 1980, 10 yr yields were north of 15%).

New perspective on policy blunders and the resulting financial repression. Will likely also look back on this with 'coiling a spring' type metaphors.

no positions

2 comments:

dgeorge12358 said...

The 10 year bond has spent 55 consecutive days below 2.00%.
From 1962 to Sep 2011, about 50 years, the 10 year bond was never below 2.00%.
~Michael Higley

dgeorge12358 said...

An index of 20 year+ zero coupon treasury bonds is up over 70% during the last 52 weeks.