Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Movin' On

Well, I'm gonna find a home
And we'll see how it feels
Goin' mobile
--The Who

A month or so back, I began to feel pangs that it was time to move. The basic thought process was that, if I live in my current house for another ten years, I'd have a hefty stream of capital improvements to fund in order to get things where I'd like them (new bath, remodeling, etc). So why not find a place that already has those amenities installed.

Two alternatives seemed reasonable. In one scenario, I would downsize to a condo. No more yard work, newer digs, attached garage, increased energy efficiency. I might even move out of the city to improve tax efficiency.

The other choice was to find another house that had all things I dreamed of in a house. In that situation, I would remain where I live now, given its, well, livability.

After browsing some listings online and discussing things w/ Rob, it became clear to me that the condo option wasn't for me. Too much freedom and privacy lost. Plus those condo fees...

A few Sundays back I thought I'd walk thru a few open houses to see what the possibilities were, and I happened to find one I liked. With Rob's help, and a week's worth of negotiating later, we inked a contract for a new house today.

Does this project make sense given the economic turmoil centered on housing and the credit markets? Discussion on this to follow.

No comments: