Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Big Sleep

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
--The Who

There is plenty of evidence that liberty is dwindling in the US. Rising debt (debt reduces freedom), coercive taxation (theft of property), and government tracking systems (less privacy) are some of the symptoms. When problems arise, we increasingly look to the government (or outside countries) for assistance (see Mr Practical's example).

If we are to reverse this trend, we need to understand why we so willingly forfeit the freedom claimed by our founders over 200 years ago. What is causing our Big Sleep? Problems are much easier solved when the root cause is understood.

No comments: