Saturday, August 7, 2021

Delta Force

Maj Scott McCoy: Better hurry, Nick. I think there's gonna be reinforcements on the way.
Col Nick Alexander: How do you know?
Maj Scott McCoy: I heard something on the radio.
Col Nick Alexander: I didn't know you spoke Arabic.
Maj Scott McCoy: If we don't get outta here, we're all going to be speaking it.

--The Delta Force

Good exchange w Rand Paul on the renewed hysteria driven by onset of the so-called 'delta variant' of CV19. Here's a question: how is the delta variant actually measured?

After several days of research, I've yet to come up with a conclusive answer. It appears that the variant is not easily detected by run-of-the-mill CV19 tests. My understanding is that it can be identified by running up the cycles on polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing platforms, although I don't understand how this would pinpoint delta vs other strains.

Moreover, higher cycle PCR tests increase chances of false positives--as these pages have discussed.

I'm getting the sense that delta variant-related cases are not actually being counted. Instead they are being assumed.

No comments: