Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year's AA

Sometimes you picture me
I'm walking too far ahead
You're calling to me
I can't hear what you've said
Then you say, "go slow"
And I fall behind
The second hand unwinds
--Cyndi Lauper

Every now and then I like to estimate my asset allocation (AA) across all financial accounts. Helps keep me aware of where I stand.  Here's my current AA as we usher in the new year:

Equities   40.3%
Fixed income   1.0%
Cash   48.0%
Alternative assets   10.7%

Note that this breakdown is for securitized (i.e., paper) assets only. It does not factor in physical assets such as my house.

Fixed income portion would be higher if my work 401(k) would make certificates of deposit (CDs) available. Instead, I have to settle for money market funds that currently yield close to CD rates (although they do not provide FDIC protection). If CD's were available in the 401(k) account then I would be targeting an asset allocation of ~ 40 equities/30 fixed income/20 cash /10 alt assets.

Top stock holdings include D, INTC, JNJ, MRK, PAAS, WFC, XOM. Alternative assets consist largely of closed end gold and silver funds CEF and PHYS.

Asset allocation should evolve this year as funds from pension fund buyout are allocated primarily toward dividend paying stocks and precious metal proxies.

No comments: