Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Freedom and Force

Benjamin Martin: May I sit here?
Charlotte Selton: It's a free country. Or at least it will be.
--The Patriot

I've seen several versions of the following argument:

"Policies that protect people's interests from forceful invasion infringe on my freedom. These policies force someone else's views on me and prohibit me from pursuing happiness as I see fit."

Criminals make similar arguments. "Laws against theft are unfair because I believe that I deserve what others have. These laws are designed to force me from getting what I want."

In a free society, all people can pursue their interests unencumbered by forceful interference by others. Just as others are not permitted to invade your interests, you are not permitted to forcefully interfere with the interests of others.

If this is not the case, then all people are not free.

In a free society, force is only justifiable as a means of self-defense. People have the right to defend their person and possessions against forceful invasion by others.

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

State interference in economic life, which calls itself economic policy, has done nothing but destroy economic life. Prohibitions and regulations have by their general obstructive tendency fostered the growth of the spirit of wastefulness.
~Ludwig von Mises