Thursday, February 2, 2012

Of Cups and Handles

You can never understand
We can always be like water
Flowing on to find our way
Just get on with the game
It's a game
What a game
--Tarney Spencer Band

Am noticing lots of cup-and-handle patterns in many large cap equity charts. Some of the patterns span a few days while others are multi-month in nature.

Moreover, the action 'feels' bullish. The tape is consistently bid. Weakness is being bought regardless of news.


Feels too risky to be net short here. As such, I've been adding some long side exposure to balance things out. I've been buying some of my fave blue chip names (CSCO, JNJ, PG). Today I added a little commodity exposure via DBC.

To be clear, I'm in 'rent' rather than 'own' mode here. But I want to reposition my near term stance in this bullish tape. I'm now a coupla percent net long.

position in CSCO, DBC, JNJ, PG, SH

1 comment:

dgeorge12358 said...

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
~Bruce Lee